Did you find that this past Fat Tuesday in fact lived up to its name? Mardi Gras is always one of the largest parties of the year where many individuals typically over indulge on all of the goodies including gumbo, King Cake and hurricanes.
Now unbeknownst to many, you can still enjoy all of your favorite flavors of the bayou without taking in an unhealthy amount of calories. Check out these healthier versions of all your favorite festive indulgences with a few Mardi Gras recipes.
Cajun Kale Chips
- For the ultimately addicting snack food try some Cajun Kale Chips. This recipe takes just 10-15 to prepare and all you have to do is toss them in the oven until they are crisped to your liking. Check out the full recipe for this heart healthy snack here.
Vegetarian Beans & Rice
- We all love some beans & rice, after all what’s better than some good old southern comfort food? But you can also enjoy this classic dish without all the trans-fats, calories and salts. Just take out some of the meats (ham or sausage) and add some healthier alternatives. Full recipe here.
- Gumbo should usually serve as the main course for your Mardi Gras celebration. If made properly, you can concoct one of the best gumbo’s you’ll ever taste, with a low amount of calories and fat as well! There’s no reason your gumbo should lack flavor and this recipe doesn’t disappoint.
King Cake made with Crescent Rolls
- No Mardi Gras party would be complete without the colorful and delicious addition of a King Cake. Duplicate this delicious classic dessert and eliminate all the calories by subbing the actual cake with low-fat crescent rolls. Sound crazy? Just check out this King Cake recipe here.
- Did you know that the average hurricane contains over 500 calories in just one drink? Cut out all those unneeded calories by turning to a lighter New Orleans alternative, Sazerac. You’ll be able to enjoy the Mardi Gras the same way as you would with other drinks but without all that sugar and calories.