A properly cared for kitchen knife will last years and provide a perfect cut every time. Travaasa Austin’s Executive Chef Benjamin Baker shares the following helpful tips and reminders that can help prolong the life of your kitchen cutlery.
- Don’t drop your knives in the sink. Not only is it a hazard to the person washing dishes, but you can also blunt the tip or edge.
- Don’t put your knives in the dishwasher. The heat may damage wooden handles and the edges may bang against other cutlery or plates.
- Keep your knives clean and dry. Sanitize if necessary.
- Do not store your knives loose in a drawer. Use a block, magnetic strip, slotted hanger or edge guards. The magnetic strip is not recommended if you have children or inquisitive pets.
- Finally, your knife is not a can opener, a screwdriver, a pry bar, box cutter or hammer.
ENTER HERE for a chance to win today’s giveaway, a 3-piece Wusthof knife set or a chance at the grand prize of a 3-night stay at either Travaasa Hana or Travaasa Austin (airfare not included).