Cooking a Turkey 101
Posted on 11/13/2012
With turkey being one of the most important Thanksgiving traditions, our holiday experts at Travaasa have put together some easy tips that are sure to have everyone coming back for seconds.
- Make sure you leave enough time for the turkey to defrost. In the fridge five pounds of turkey takes about a day to defrost on average, so make sure you plan ahead.
- A turkey will cook more evenly if it is not overstuffed. Place the remaining stuffing in an oven-safe dish and cook it separately.
- Be sure the stuffing inside of the turkey reaches at least 165 degrees before taking it out to ensure no holiday mishaps, such as salmonella.
- Use a meat thermometer!
- Continue basting the turkey every 30-60 minutes to keep it moist and give it more flavor.
- Let the turkey sit for at least 15 minutes before carving. Make sure the knife you’re using is sharp. Electric ones work well also.