How to Get Better Sleep during the Holidays
Posted on November 13, 2012
With all the hustling and bustling around the holiday season it sometimes seems impossible to get any rest. Our wellness experts here at Travaasa have compiled a few easy tips to make your sleep easier and more effective.
- Make sure you’re maintaining a consistent sleep schedule, even on the weekends. Going to bed and waking up at the same time will help you feel more rested and get to sleep easier and faster.
- Skip the caffeine after noon and opt for decaf or switch to a decaffeinated tea. Also, avoid alcohol four to six hours before sleep as it interferes with REM, an imperative part of your sleep cycle.
- Eat larger meals for breakfast and smaller meals at night. This helps your digestive system as well as allowing for a deeper sleep.
- A cooler temperature is better for sleeping. Your body needs to cool down when you sleep, so make the job easier and turn down that thermostat!
- Turn off the lights. Darkness allows your pineal gland to secrete more melatonin, which is a big factor in determining how well you sleep.
- In addition, increase how much light you get in the day. Go outside for a walk in the sun and open your curtains. The more light you get during the daytime the better.