How to Get Better Sleep during the Holidays
Posted on 11/13/2012
With all the hustling and bustling around the holiday season it sometimes seems impossible to get any rest. Our wellness experts here at Travaasa have compiled a few easy tips to make your sleep easier and more effective.
- Make sure you’re maintaining a consistent sleep schedule, even on the weekends. Going to bed and waking up at the same time will help you feel more rested and get to sleep easier and faster.
- Skip the caffeine after noon and opt for decaf or switch to a decaffeinated tea. Also, avoid alcohol four to six hours before sleep as it interferes with REM, an imperative part of your sleep cycle.
- Eat larger meals for breakfast and smaller meals at night. This helps your digestive system as well as allowing for a deeper sleep.
- A cooler temperature is better for sleeping. Your body needs to cool down when you sleep, so make the job easier and turn down that thermostat!
- Turn off the lights. Darkness allows your pineal gland to secrete more melatonin, which is a big factor in determining how well you sleep.
- In addition, increase how much light you get in the day. Go outside for a walk in the sun and open your curtains. The more light you get during the daytime the better.